Friday, June 29, 2012

GHOUL

GHOUL
"The madness and monstrosity lay in the figures in the foreground- for Pickman's morbid art was pre-eminently one of demoniac portraiture. These figures were seldom completely human, but often approached humanity in varying degree. Most of the bodies, while roughly bipedal, had a forward slumping, and a vaguely canine cast. The texture of the majority was a kind of unpleasant rubberiness."
H.P. Lovecraft, Pickman's Model

"All these things Carter glibbered to the assembled ghouls, and presently outlined that request which he had in mind, and which he did not think extravagant considering the services he had so lately rendered the rubbery, dog-like lopers."
H.P. Lovecraft, The Dream-Quest Of Unknown Kadath



6 comments:

  1. Ah ghouls, the most lovable of Lovecraft's creations.

    MORE GHOULS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cool, just read Pickman's Model again today one of my favs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a brilliant one. I think this whole project has been great, glad you're binding them and selling some hardcopies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Pickman's Model" is supposedly one of Grandpa's "minor" stories, not quite a "success," blah blah blah. I love that story so much! It is a perfect example of H. P. Lovecraft weaving his immortal magick with just little hints and suggestions and glimpses that evoke entire worlds of ye macabre. I have written a number of stories inspir'd by it, and was delighted to see Pickman depicted on the cover of what I consider my best book, SOME UNKNOWN GULF OF NIGHT. You depiction of the ghoul is spot-on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I'm very excited to hear you like it! I actually just picked up Black Wings of Cthulhu while on a trip to Portland (I loved Inhabitants of Wraithwood), which prompted me to order Tales Of Sesqua Valley and Other Haunts. I love the dreaminess of your work.

      Delete
  5. This image links seems to have gone bad?

    ReplyDelete