"The devils shown tormenting the saint have become much more imaginative in form. One is based on a lobster, two have accessory faces in their abdomens, and they are starting to depart from nature."
Hoakley, The Story In Paintings: The Temptation Of Saint Anthony, Before 1560
*This demon is inspired by the painting Saint Anthony And Tormenting Demons, a page from an illuminated version of Jean de Vignay, La Légende Dorée, Volume II from 1465-1475
The medieval depictions of demons tend to be more reserved than the complex and confounding Renaissance paintings. But this one....what the hell is this guy? A bird? A muppet? Are those eye sockets? The proportions are wild and the details are almost nonexistent. Its head goes almost directly into its body and then there's almost no variation in color.
I did have fun drawing it though. The lack of detail meant that I could kind of define things how I liked.


No comments:
Post a Comment