"An uvuudaum is a humanoid creature with two standard human arms that protrude from the torso where expected, but whose lower body has six arms instead of legs, splayed spiderlike below it (tough loose clothing somewhat drapes its grotesque legs). The real horror is the taillike appendage replacing what would be a head on a normal creature. At the very end of the appendage is an ironhard spike."
Andy Collins, Bruce R. Cordeil & Tomas M. Reid, Epic Level Handbook
So this one is also a more contemporary creature but I was struck by the amalgamation of inorganic with organic ie the iron talon for a head. It reminds me of some of the more bizarre Ramsey Campbell monsters.
There are two illustrations of the uvuudaum that I want to talk about. The first one is from the Epic Level Handbook and it's the first appearance of the creature. I've tried really hard and I can't figure out who this illustrator is. They're the same person that illustrated the demilich in the same book but I can't make out the signature initials. *Addendum! I think these are the work of Michael Dutton. The signature seems to match. Thanks to
Next up is my favorite depiction of this creep and it's by Wayne Reynolds.
Ok that's all the D&D monsters (for now) but I have a surprise second week of monsters ready to go!



No comments:
Post a Comment