Friday, August 7, 2026

DÜRER DEMON

DÜRER DEMON
"Riding steadfastly through a dark Nordic gorge, Dürer's knight rides past Death on a Pale Horse, who holds out an hourglass as a reminder of life's brevity, and is followed closely behind by a pig-snouted Devil."
The Met

*This demon is inspired by the engraving Knight, Death & The Devil by Albrecht Dürer.



I enjoyed drawing this one a lot. While the head is visible the rest of the body is obscured by the horse. I had to really study it hard to pick out details and clues as to what the rest of the body looked like. The long rat tail can be overlooked as a tree branch. The wing could or couldn't be a cloak. The goat hooves could easily be overlooked as belonging to either the knight's horse or death's horse. 

This is another one that I saw at the Chicago Art Institute in 2023.

That's all the new monsters for now. I'm working on redrawing some older guys but I'd love to do more demons. Please send me the weirdest medieval or renaissance demons you know of!

No comments:

Post a Comment