Tuesday, March 22, 2022

CENTIPEDE-LIKE THING

 
CENTIPEDE-LIKE THING
“It growled and began to rise, but the demon, a centipede-like thing, had reared to attack, thinking to decapitate him. Tau flowed beneath the creature's claws and came up stabbing, driving his black blades into its core.”
Evan Winter, The Fires Of VengeanceThis creep is from the second book in The Burning series, The Fires Of Vengeance. I really wanted this thing to look like a human mixed with a centipede with a dragon-ish head. The body with the multitude of legs would be the centipede part and the legs themselves are modeled after human arms, though they terminate in long serrated claws.  


Artwork by Karla Ortiz

The second book in the series really ramps things up for all the characters. There's a lot of plot development and the world gets fleshed out a bit more. Also, there's more monsters. A lot more. And while I do love the monsters there's so much more to this book. It feels personal. All the characters feel real and intentional. The situations feel horrible but relatable with many shades of gray. I love this quote from an interview about Winter's motivation and inspiration: 

"My parents are from Guyana. For many black people within the African Diaspora the idea of success is that you need to go be a doctor or an engineer. At the same time, my parents never ever once tried to push me off the writing path that I was heading down. Not to sound cliche, but I've always wanted to be a writer."

"I wanted the characters in The Rage of Dragons to represent and feel like me and my family, but in a way that didn't need to draw attention to it. My family didn't exist for some greater plot point. My family just exists, we just are."


No comments:

Post a Comment