Wednesday, April 6, 2022

FUNGUS BEAST


FUNGUS BEAST 
"I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing." 


"No, no, I tell you, I am not that daemon swineherd in the twilit grotto! It was not Edward Norrys’ fat face on that flabby, fungous thing!"
H.P. Lovecraft, The Rats In the Walls


This one is related to Monday's creature, the gyaa-yothn. Both are humans that have been bred or devolved into a pack or meat animal in a bizarre subterranean world.


This is one of my all time favorite designs because it's so weird and disturbing, so I wasn't going to change much. Again, I just fixed up the line work and color and made the face look better.

I know some people have expressed that they viewed the fungus beasts differently but that's what I love about interpreting literary monsters. It's up to the individual to bring their own interests and influences to the story. I may have brought something to the text that you didn't. It's also why I love seeing multiple artists illustrate the same text. Every artist is going to add something new and cool.





2 comments: