Wednesday, April 13, 2022

SPAWN OF CTHULHU

SPAWN OF CTHULHU
 
"Another race - a land race of beings shaped like octopi and probably corresponding to fabulous prehuman spawn of Cthulhu - soon began filtering down from cosmic infinity and precipitated a -monstrous war which for a time drove the Old Ones wholly back to the sea - a colossal blow in view of the increasing land settlements." 
H.P. Lovecraft, At the Mountains Of Madness

At the Mountains Of Madness is one of my favorite Lovecraft stories. It's got an excellent fantasy timeline full of monsters, ancient civilizations, massive ruins and exotic locations. 

The locale of Antarctica was actually one of the main drivers for me to go there myself. That and another Lovecraftian story, Who Goes There? and the movie adaptation The Thing.



In fact, while I was there I watched The Thing on my iPod and listened to an audiobook of At the Mountains Of Madness! And above you can see some actual photos I took (or were taken of me, bottom right) on that trip.



A better drawing with the same design.

1 comment: