Friday, May 12, 2023

LLOIGOR


LLOIGOR
"Lloigor, Zhar and Ithaqua shall ride the spaces among the stars and shall ennoble those who are their followers, who are the Tcho-Tcho; Cthugha shall encompass his dominion from Fomalhaut; Tzathoggua shall come from N'kai..."
H.P. Lovecraft & August Derleth, The Lurker At the Threshold

"For the thing that crouched in the weird green dusk was a living mass of shuddering horror, as ghastly mountain of sensate, quivering flesh, whose tentacles, far-flung in the dim reaches of the subterranean cavern, emitted a strange humming sound, while from the depths of the creature's body came a weird and horrific ululation. Then I fell back into Fo-Lan's arms. my mouth opened to cry out, but I felt the doctor's firm hand clapped across my lips, and from a great distance I seemed to hear his voice.
"That is Lloigor!"'
August Dertleth & Mark Schorer, The Lair Of the Star Spawn


A really obscure Old One that's part of a pair. Lloigor & Zhar are similar to Nug & Yeb in that they're never described but they only appear in August Derleth's subpar mythos stories & posthumous collaborations with HPL. I know he did a lot for Weird authors with Arkham House but his personal work is honestly the work of a hack. Boring, derivative and needlessly taxonomic.

Anyway, I took it as an opportunity to draw some really weird squid monsters. Here's an old vs. new. The redrawing has much better movement and color.

If my versions of Nug & Yeb are faternal twins, then Lloigor & Zhar are identical. I'll post Zhar on Monday.


No comments:

Post a Comment